BV Backcountry Day
Presented by The Trailhead and Buena Vista Mountain Adventures - BVMA
BV Backcountry Day is time to demo a variety of winter gear and explore Buena Vista’s backcountry. All proceeds from this event will benefit the Colorado Avalanche Information Center (CAIC).
Saturday, December 16th. See schedule below for times.
Collegiate Peaks Campground, Buena Vista, Colorado (located west of the traffic light towards Cottonwood Pass, about 20 minutes from downtown BV).
All skill levels are welcome! Registration is $10 for the day and will give you access to the following:
Gear from G3, Black Crows, Salomon, Rocky Mountain Underground, Scarpa, and more will be available to demo. BVMA will be offering guided trips throughout the day (sign-up ahead of time to reserve your spot). These guided trips are ideal for people comfortable skiing blues & blacks at the resort who want to experience the sport of backcountry skiing.
Salomon skis will be available to demo, and guides from BVMA will be offering tips and instruction. Boots and poles will also be available to demo.
Demo snowshoes from MSR will be available. Guides from BVMA and Trailhead staff members will be offering tips and instruction for first-timers or those who want to learn more about winter hiking. Poles will also be available.
Boneshaker Cycles will offer a variety of Fat Bikes for you to demo. If you haven’t tried cycling through snow, this is a must at BV Backcountry Day.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Friday, December 15
- 7:30 PM Ski Movie at Deerhammer Distillery in downtown BV
Saturday, December 16
- 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM Vendors & Demo Area Open (Backcountry skis, XC Skis, Snowshoes, Fat Bikes)
- 9:00 AM Backcountry Tour #1 Check-In
- 10:30 AM Backcountry Tour #2 Check-In
- 12:00pm: Backcountry Tour #3 Check-In
- 2:00 PM Demo Area Closes at Collegiate Peaks Campground
- 4:00 PM -5:00 PM Avalanche Awareness Class lead by BVMA Guides
- 5:00 PM Wear your event wristband downtown for a variety of food and drink discounts. *Please see list of qualifying restaurants, bars, and shops below.
- 7:30 PM After Party & Gathering at The Jailhouse Craft Beer Bar in downtown BV
Our Lodging Partner is the Surf Chateau in the South Main section of Buena Vista. If you’d like premium accommodations for the weekend, we suggest booking sooner rather than later to reserve your room. Contact: 719-966-7048 or SurfChateau.com.
Registration is $10 (cash only). Pre-registration is available online and is required if you'd like to participate in the guided backcountry tours. You can fill out the registration form here: BV Backcountry Day Registration Form
With your registration, you'll receive a wristband that gains you access to all demos and instruction at the event location. Please note: even by registering ahead of time online, you will need to bring $10 cash to the event location to receive your wristband.
The wristband will also give you access to discounts on food, drinks and shopping in downtown BV. *Please see list below for participating facilities.
All guided backcountry trips are included in your registration fee. However, registration for the guided trips is currently FULL.
Registration will also be available the day of at The Collegiate Peaks Campground. However, pre-registration is strongly encouraged.
WHAT TO BRING
Wondering what to bring and what to expect? We've got you covered...here's what we recommend:
- Bring cash to register ($10).
- Dress for everything. The weather might be sunny and warm. Or it could be cold and windy. Or all of the above. So make sure to bring lots of layers!
- We suggest bringing sunscreen, chapstick, sunglasses, a warm hat, gloves, water bottle, and snacks.
- Bring comfortable socks. Socks that you’d ski in. Or if you’re snowshoeing, bring comfortable boots and socks.
PLEASE RSVP if you’re wanting the AT guided backcountry skiing experience. There’s only a limited number of slots, and they’re filling up quickly.
You’ll get a wristband when you register and pay some money.
There’s no cell service at the event area. So take a bunch of photos and then come to the Trailhead after for free wifi so you can post your awesome photos. Use the hashtags #GoThereStartHere, #BVBackcountry, and #BuenaVistaCO.
Have questions or want to learn more? Give The Trailhead staff a call at 719-395-8001 or email Susan at Susan@TheTrailheadCO.com.